Thursday 25 April 2013

Illegal Hunting in Malta

Those of you who know me, or have previously followed Joe's Birding Blog will know that the issue of illegal hunting in Malta is something that I feel very strongly about. I have been to 4 of the bird protection camps run by Birdlife Malta in the last 2 years to help monitor bird migration and prevent illegal hunting of protected species and try and involve myself as much as I can to bring this appalling practice to an end.
Last week Charlie Moores of the excellent Talking Naturally website initiated a conversation on the issue with Nik Barbara, Lawrie Phipps and myself, where we reveal the extent of the problem, discuss the possibility of a tourism boycott of the island, and answer some of the criticisms that maltese hunters level at us campaigners. If you haven't heard of the situation in Malta, or would like to learn more, it is well worth a listen, it will be just 25 minutes very well spent.

Click here to listen to the discussion on the Talking Naturally website

Eleonora's Falcon- shot dead

Little Egret- shot down in to the sea in front of my eyes. We rescued the bird with the help of the Maltese police,
 but it died en-route to the vet

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.